Shopping for someone with hearing loss can be daunting, you are looking to get them something special that will make their lives a little easier and comfortable.
Hearing loss is the third most common problem in the United States as well as worldwide. The disease widely affects the quality of life and relationship.
Due to advancement in hearing technology, there are various devices and treatment which can help the disabled to be the same as normal people. They can be provided with the aids. These devices can also be perfects gifts for hard of hearing. It will make them feel as you understand and respect their needs and will make living with deafness a little easier for them
So, let’s remind them how beautiful and important they are by giving them the best gifts which can be helpful in their education as well as daily needs. Whatever the occasion is like Christmas, birthday or something special these surprise gift will win their heart.
19 gifts for hearing impaired
Bone conduction headphones | Television Listening Device | Vibrating alarm clock | Wifi Digital doorbell | Smart jewellery | Happy Holidays | Games for hearing impaired children | Apps for hearing aids | Personal sound amplification products | Hearables | Wake up light alarm clock | Books | Hearing device decorations | Captioned Telephones | Movie Theaters with captioning | Skinits | Membership to a hearing-friendly museum | A helping hearing group | A painting or Print
1. Bone conduction headphones
Bone conduction headsets are surely the best hearing impaired gifts. It provides the necessary sound amplification for the deaf person, as they have structural issues with their middle ear system. There are three bones stirrup, anvil, and hammer which converts sound vibration on eardrums to the sensation which is then further processed by the inner ear(cochlea). But if you are hearing disabled, these bone stops working.
In the Bone Conduction listening devices such as headphones works as an eardrum which convert the sound waves to vibration and these vibrations are received by the cochlea via skull bone, then vibration is sent to the brain as an impulse signal via the auditory nerve. Therefore eardrums are not involved. You can read more about it here to know how technology helps the deaf person.
2. TV headphones or TV ears or Television Listening Device
TV listening devices combat the problem of hearing the sound from the television. It helps in hearing television dialogue clearly while eliminating complaint about loud volume or the need to buy expensive hearing aids. It also reduces the external noise disturbance so that one can listen easily and enjoy any tv program.
Our Best Choice: TV Ears 330-0123 2.3 Wireless Headset System
- TV Ear helps to hear the television clearly
- Voice clarifying circuiting.
- Twice the power-120DB.
- Ultra lightweight wireless headphones.
- BackGround noise reduction.
3. Vibrating alarm clock
One of the main problems with deaf adults is that they cannot use the alarm clock to wake up early in the morning. The sound produced by the clock does not affect them hears. We can use a hearing aid like earbuds and overcome this problem, but it is difficult to sleep with such a device.
There are some device discovered which act as an alarm clock for the deaf people. These devices generally produce a kind of vibration instead of producing sound.
Best vibrating alarm clock: ILuv SmartShaker
- Vibrating Pad.
- Loud Alarm
- Vibrating alert shake your bed or pillow to alert you when asleep
- Flashing light alert option.
- Slim and modern design
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Large vibration 3 times than normal smartphones vibrations
- Different alarm settings to choose from
- The change between audio or vibration mode
4. Wifi Digital doorbell
Its a great invention for the hearing impaired people as it’s not possible for them to listen to the doorbell. These devices send alert to their respective phones through which connected about any activity.
Our Best Choice: SkyBell Wi-Fi Video Doorbell Version 2.0 Classic
- It is programmable
- Lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet, and PC
- Frequency get matched for the hard of hearing
- Different modes are available. 1. Flash only 2. Ring only 3. Both Flash and Ring options.
5. Smart jewellery
This is a smart idea that a fashionable product can be useful for the hearing disabled people to get a notification through the jewellery by flashlight or vibration as these are connected to there mobile phones. This work both as fashion and also an alert device.
- Notification of message alert, call alert, and calendar event alert.
- It also works as a safety alert device as it can send an alert notification to registered contacts in case of an emergency.
- There is also an upcoming feature of health device in jewellery which is amazing. The person can also get health-related alerts through jewellery devices.
6. Happy Holidays
This is not a physical gift, this is a special gift which indicates that you care for the people who are impaired. You can spend time with them, makes them feels better. It shows that you care about their struggles and their need and can make a big difference in their life long after the holidays have passed.
- Walt Disney World
- Universal Studios Hollywood
- Travelling abroad
- Cruising along
- Branson, Missouri
- National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
7. Games for hearing impaired children:
Children love games either they are normal ones or physically disabled. This can be the best gift for hearing disabled children as it will make them happy. Children love playing games. There is a list of games you can give to your loving ones.
- Marbles catchoo 3.0
- Sign name* game
- Fruit salad game
- Koosh Ball 3 inch
- Magnetic alpha tab
- Mini Squigz
8. Apps for hearing aids:
There are various helpful apps for hearing disabled people like decibel meter and learning sign language. In the apps, you need not to listen you can learn the things by seeing only.
Day by day apps are increasing and you can find out on any app store for the required app. Some must-have apps for individuals with hearing loss.
9. Sound amplifier or Personal sound amplification products (PSAPs)
The best thing about the sound amplifier is that it’s cheaper than other devices like hearing aids, earing buds. These are low-cost hearing devices that can range from just $10 to $500
One can amplify the sound the device consists of a transmitter, receiver, Microphone etc. one more quality of this device is that its smaller in size compared to other devices.
Our #1 Pick: Digital Hearing Amplifier by Britzgo BHA-220
- This PSAP device comes with the in-built digital chip and frequency control which automatically adapts to the environments sounds.
- The products come with 500+ hour battery life.
- It is small, compact and can fit either ear.
This can be the best gift as this high tech device directly go into your ear to listen to you better, moreover other feature of the Hearable are sign monitoring activity tracking and personal biometric authentication. This can be the gifts for deaf people as it has many features like
- It’s invisible which remove the stigma of wearing a hearing aid
- Augmented hearing which improves the hearing quality above normal levels
- Facility of linking the device to iPhone
- Layered listening to filter and enhance the specific sound.
Our best pick for you: Jabra Sports Pulse Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset with Built-In Heart Rate Monitor
11. Wake up light alarm clock
This is basically a light alarm clock which produces colored light stimulation which feels better and also cool to show others.
There is a various option you can choose from vibrating alarm clock is a good option once you tried, you would show others how cool it is.
Philips has created a light alarm clock which wakes you up with coloured sunrise stimulation natural light.
- You can choose your favourite colour among the various options.
- There are different charging option available for this device like USB, wall jack or back up batteries.
Available at Amazon: Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock
12. Books for children and teens with hearing loss.
Entertaining, as well as educational books, can also be a better option for children as well as teens. Books can ease the transition of wearing hearing aids and also informational too.
There are many kinds of books on various topics one can choose for his/her loving ones.
Some of them are:
13. Hearing device decorations
In most of the cases younger are not as happy to wear the hearing aids, you can gift them hearing device decorations so, that the hearing devices can be made more attractive and fancy.
There are many online and offline shops from where you can buy them like Check out lugs the UK based online shop that helps you finding the beautiful decoration devices.
14. Captioned Telephones
It is a great gift for the senior living as they can use it to get connected and share their time with their loving ones. It helps in their social life.there is no need of hearing in these phones as everything is captioned which can be easily read.
15. Movie Theaters with captioning
You can a gift a card to the AMC or Regal cinema chains, which provide captions for those who have a hearing problem but make sure that the particular cinema has the facility of captioning devices for the hearing impaired persons. The movie chains are installing this facility and soon all will have.
Skinits are designed to fit properly and they are pre-cut, long lasting, easy to wear and they leave no residue when removed from the devices. You can also change or customize them according to your need.
- They can be applied directly to your device so that you can design them any way you choose.
- They are removable, you can customize according to your requirement.
- There are lots of options to choose from and customize accordingly.
17. Membership to a hearing-friendly museum
Another exciting gift can be a membership to a hearing-friendly museum which can be a better place for enjoyment. You can search out about a hearing-friendly museum nearby. Some of them are:
18. A helping hearing group
If the hearing impaired person attends the hearing helping group it will in improvements and also social interaction. You can look up for any association or group and gift membership to your loving ones.
19. A painting or Print
As a painting or print does not require any hearing capability. It’s nice to gift any kind of artwork which can be used for home, office decoration and also gives a meaning message.
I have mentioned the 15 most useful gifts which you can give to your family, friends and loving ones. Hope you will find it helpful.
These are the gifts which can really be exciting as well as informational and educational for them. You can also check out this Pinterest board to find out some more interesting ideas.
Comment below if you have gifted any one of these to anyone or have received the same and also if you have an idea of more such kind of gifts. Kindly suggest in the comment box below so that we can add those to our list.