10 Best Shooting Ear Protection & Electronic Ear Muffs
Last Updated on September 4, 2020 by Editorial Team
Many of us have been to a shooting practice session or are interested in doing some. Many of us are already started and hope to find a nice pair of shooting ear protection. In my bucket list is the shooting practice that I am highly interested to get into.
Today we bring you the best ear protection headsets for shooting. These are professional, military-grade headsets that you can use while doing shooting sessions or any hunting. Using this hearing protection is always recommended as they help to prevent ringing in the ear & hearing loss.
Types of earmuffs:
1. Passive earmuffs
Passive Earmuffs are the one that does not require a power source to use them. They come in different design and has an advantage over the electronics one due to its price range, no batteries to power them and higher NRR then it’s former.
2. Electronic earmuffs
Electronic Earmuffs are the one that does require a power source to use them. They feature technology and you can also use them to listen to your music with audio input in them. Some may have an auto-shut option in case you are not using them. They are highly functional than passive earmuffs and are versatile to use.
How to look for best shooting ear protection earmuffs?
1. NRR: NRR means Noise Reduction Rating and is a standard that is monitored by the Environmental Protection Agency across the globe. They also define how much noise can be reduced by the headset. It also means a decrease in the sound wave for safer listening.
2. Comfort: It is another important factor that you should care when buying a good pair of shooting protection earmuffs.
Either you are going for hunting or having a training session of various guns, you will be using it for quite long and the comfort must be top-class so that it won’t hurt your ears.
For that, the headbands and the earcups must be well padded and must not hurt you and your ear. They must fit comfortably into your head and ear. Some earmuffs come with a double shell with quality foams that can help you to cool up the head in your ears.
3. Versatility: You might want to carry along this headset when you are hunting or having a gun-shoot training session. For such a situation, the headset must withstand any sort of challenge it faces like shaking, running. Headbands must be foldable and earcups too. These factor help in retaining comfort while being versatile enough to use them.
Best ear protection for shooting in 2020
Earmuffs are great and must for anyone who is into shooting either at training session or hunting. With 34 dB of noise reduction rate, Pro Sho is one of the best earmuffs that you can buy for ultimate hearing protection against loud noises.
This compact, lightweight yet comfortable earmuffs are great for any individual and can handle any sort of loud noise. Certified by ANSI and CE EN. these are great while working with a loud noise. The company is so proud to present you these earmuffs that they have 90 days warranty after purchase and 100% money back guarantee if you are not satisfied. The padded earcups and headbands don’t let you feel the load into your ear and are very reliable for a long session of loud noise.
- The noise reduction rate of 34db
- ANSI and CE EN certified
- Robust yet lightweight
- Comfortable earcups made from industry-grade foams
- Ideal for longer shooting sessions
- Standard earcup size
9. Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold Electronic Hearing Protection
What is great about this Pro Ears Pro Mag is the military-grade circuit boards with a gold connector that helps to control the volume of either cups independently. You can customize each of the earcups to your comfort level of hearing.
Besides that, Pro Ears features DLSC technology with Full Spectrum Sound. What that means is you can hear softer sounds while eliminating the other tinny sounds. The noise reduction rate is 30 dB with a very quick response time of 1.5ms letting you take control of the situations around you.
The earcups are designed with ProForm Leather and viscoelastic foam along with adjustable headbands that will automatically shut off after no use. It also has 3.5mm input jack that lets you enjoy any audio you like.
- Military-grade circuit board
- DLSC Technology for natural sound
- COmfortable and replaceable earcups
- 3.5 mm audio input jack to listen to music
- Leather earcups for extra comfort
- The noise reduction rate of 30db
8. 3M Peltor SV Tactical Pro Hearing Protector
3M Peltor SV Tactical Pro is a foldable headset that absorbs the harmful noise and reduces to a very decent, clear and soft sound. They are composed of liquid-gel-filled ear cushions having a noise reduction ratio of 26db.
This headset also amplifies the signals and voices while suppressing ambient noise without clipping. What we love about this device is it can also be connected to another device for listening to music. They are powered by 2 AA batteries that can last for days. And most of all the three button touchpad gives the benefit of amplifying or suppressing the sound.
- Liquid-gel ear cushions
- Adjustable and comfortable earcups
- NRR of 26 dB
- Powered by 2 AA batteries
- Allows to amplify as well as reduce the noise
- Omni-directional cup microphones
- AUX cable for connecting with another device to listen to music
7. ClearArmor 141001 Safety Earmuffs
Certified by CE EN 352-1(European Standard) and ANSI S3.19(American Standard), ClearArmor 141001 is the safety earmuffs with SonicSeal technology that reduces the loud sound to a comfortable hearing level.
The build quality looks premium and feels comfortable with super soft foam for maximum comfort in the longer run. The headbands are adjustable with a layer of thick foam for secure fit in any head.
The earmuffs themselves are equipped with 3 layers of noise dampening foam. With SoundBlocker shell technology in the earmuffs, you get the most out of the sound without any leakage. These are great for shooting, operating heavy machinery, construction work or anything related to the heavy sound environment.
- ANSI and CE EN certified
- 3 layer of sound dampening foam
- Super comfortable and lightweight for long use
- CUrved headbands giving access to wear goggles
- Super saving with 2 packs
6. Fnova 34dB – Professional Ear Defenders for Shooting
With 2 layers of professional dampening foam and high sealing cups, Fnova earmuffs are great at reducing very loud noise to a decent soft level.
The foldable earcups and headband can fit any head size. They also remain at the ear even if you are swinging a lot. They have called the earmuffs as the built-in double room which damps the loud noise at 2 levels. The noise reduction ratio is 34 dB which is insanely great at a loud practice session.
While the whole device itself is great at reducing noise level, it doesn’t have any certification for the standard level. However, the company side has a 60 days money back guarantee which shows the dedication and optimism of the company towards this earmuffs.
- 2 layer professional dampening foam
- Stainless steel headband
- Compact and foldable
- Comfortable earmuffs with heavy foam
- Built-in double room noise reduction
- NRR of 34 dB
- Standard head size for all individual
- Premium quality fits adults and kids
5. 3M Peltor Optime 105 Over the Head Earmuff
3m Peltor Optime is the overhead earmuff that protects you from loud sound. The noise reduction is up to 105 dB which is pretty loud and can hamper your ear. The earmuffs are equipped with double-shell ear cups which is liquified soft foam to cool your ears.
The build quality is also quite impressive as the body is made from high-quality plastic and durable stainless steel headbands that can be rotated and bent to your comfort. The standard size also makes sure that it fits every head size. Overall, these earmuffs are among the best shooting ear protection.
- Noise reduction up to 104 dB
- Comfortable on-ear design
- Double-shell ear cups
- Liquidified earcups to cool your ear for longer use
- Best fit for loud noise environment and shooting practice
- No batteries needed
4. Mpow Noise Reduction Safety Ear Muff
Certified by ANSI S3.19 and EN521 certification that ensures the quality of the headphone to cut off louder sounds to a decent hearing level, this device reduces the sound down to 22 dB to 32 dB which is a great reduction.
Either ear cups are made from 2 layers of high-grade noise-damping foams which are furthered compact inside a double shell polymer. The size of the ear cups is of standard size with a flexible headband made of stainless tell. They are super light and doesn’t cause any pressure on the head even after longer use.
One of the great features of this earmuffs is they don’t need any batteries to operate them. They also provide a money-back guarantee up to 45 days and have 18 months of the guarantee period.
- ANSI and EN certified
- The noise reduction rate of 22db to 32 dB for a natural listening
- 2 layered noise-damping foams inside double-shell polymers
- Comfortable standard size earcups
- No batteries needed
- 45 days money-back guarantee and 18 months of the guarantee period
3. Walker’s Alpha Series
Honeywell R-01902 is a shooting ear protection device specially made for handgun shooters for better hearing protection. The ambient noise amplification is up to 82 dB which is important for low level sounds like conversation and range commands.
The noise reduction ratio is 30 which is very impressive and instantaneously blocks the noise above 82 dB.
The design and build quality are impressive as is its noise reduction quality. The earcups are made from thick foam that ensures a secure and custom fit. There is also an audio jack that you can connect to any audio device for a stereo sound to enjoy your music.
- Safe 82 dB amplification of sound
- Full awareness of the situation
- Noise after 82 dB is blocked off
- Replaceable ear cushions
- Compatible with any audio device
- Uses only 2 AAA batteries for low energy consumption
- Foldable and adjustable body for portability
1. Two Pack Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff Set
Howard Leight R-01526 are the two pair of shooting headphones that have the noise reduction rating of 22 dB and cancels most of the noise at 82 dB which is lighter than most of the other of the same genre. But, that being said it is still a great choice for smaller caliber firearms.
What makes this earpiece great is the curve along with the earmuffs. They are great to shoulder your firearm. You can easily get the safety glasses and other equipment on while wearing this headphone. This ear protection is powered by AA batteries and can be used with any device for music and other entertainment.
Overall this pair of headphone is great to protect your ears from loud ambient noise from the smaller weapon and are great to spend a good amount of time in the practice with these on.
- The ambient noise reduction rate of 22 at 82 DB
- Automatically shuts off at 82 dB
- Adjustable headbands with a compact folding design
- AUX cable for connection with other media device
- Powered by 2 AAA batteries
With all these headsets on the list, you might want to choose from the best that suits you. The factor to look out are listed so that it helps you find the right one for you. While there are electronic earmuffs available, your focus must be in passive one and you are good to enjoy the best out of these gadgets. Hope that helps. Thank you.